LOCATION: Township North -- 46-47, Range West 11,
Douglas County, State of Wisconsin, United States of America
DRAINAGE: Principal Inlets from Lake Minnesuing through Minnesuing and Black Creeks. Principal Outlet to Nebagamon Creek to the Brule River and, eventually, to Lake Superior, part of the unusual waterways which flow North.
MAXIMUM DEPTH: 54 Feet.
LAKE AREA: 950 Acres.
WATER: Medium Hard, Brown Stain.
WATER LEVEL OVER A PERIOD OF YEARS: Fairly Constant.
NATURE OF LAKE BOTTOM IN DEEP WATER: Murky.
NATURE OF LAKE BOTTOM IN SHOAL WATER: Sandy.
LAKE VEGETATION: Abundant and Varied.
PLANT DUCK FOODS: Fairly Abundant.
FISH COMMON IN LAKE BEFORE STOCKING: Northern Pike, Largemouth Bass, Rock Bass, Bluegills, Sunfish, Perch.
FISH STOCKING: Northern and Walleyed Pike.
(From Land Economic Inventory of Northern Wisconsin June 1933, Table XI.)
Wisconsin was named for the Chippewa phrase "Wees-kon-san," where the waters gather, appropriate because of the myriad of brooks, streams and rivulets which form the state's great lakes. The territory of Wisconsin knew its first rule of white man's
government in 1671. Prior to that it was the principal domain of the Chippewa Indian Nation of North America.
The Village enjoyed its principal growth and greatest prosperity between 1898 and 1906, when the Weyerhaeuser Lumber Company operated several camps here. It was during this period that many of the homes in the main portion of the Village were constructed, and Presbyterian, Baptist and Catholic churches and the first public school were built.
The Village had regular train service, a public water system, an early telephone line and its residents enjoyed many luxuries not available to the neighboring communities.
The early population was extremely conscious of its cultural needs and established a literary society and library, had many theatrical and operatic performances and enjoyed the services of ministers from a large number of religions. There were also a large number of saloons. Many of the original places of business were destroyed by various fires which struck the Village, but many were rebuilt and some still remain today.